Thursday, August 5, 2010

My 1st European Car!


Oii!! Where did the time go?? It appears I am very far behind on my blog...oops! Guess that means I've been busy busy!!! So about 3 weeks ago, I received my very 1st European Car!!!  FREEDOM!!  At first, I was pretty much shitting my pants as the roads here are QUITE narrow, and when oncoming trucks or buses come along the road you literally have no space! Now that I've been driving nearly everyday, Im getting used to driving on the left hand side of the road, and even the narrow streets are becoming easier! Some old habits seem to be hard to break however....I've hopped into the car, put my seatbelt on only to realize...oh right, the wheels on the right! ....embarrassing!! My car is a 98' Opel Corsa, it reminds me of my very first car which was a 87' Nissan Sentra. They both have about the same amt of horsepower...vroom vroom!
On Tuesday I decided to go for a drive, and see where the road takes me. The roads here are stunning!! Lots of bends and hills, and often the trees on either side of the road will form a tunnel above the road, and when the light shines thru..theres nothing else like it! Beautiful! Anyways, I ended up in Ballycotton and took some pictures along the harbour! I didn't go much further as I was low on pertro and hadn't a clue where the nearest station was to fill up! :p

I also drove to Cobh that week (pronouced Cove) Cobh was the last port that the Titanic was ever docked to! In Cobh, there is a Titanic memorial that I checked out, and I also walked along the boardwalk and took some photos.
I also drove to Youghal that week..it was a busy week of exploring the nearby towns!! I didn't do a whole lot in Youhal, but I did walk along the coastline, taking pictures of the lighthouse, and later walked into town. Downtown there is this massive clock tower, built in 1777 it served the town as a gaol (jail) and public gallows until 1837; prisoners were executed by being hanged from the windows. The clock is also only displaced on the one side because it was thought that only one side of the town deserved to know what time it was...
Thats about all I did that week. Every Wednesday evening, all the au pairs in the surrounding area meet up at a pub called Wallis'. Its been a tradition in Midleton for ages. It's a great way to meet people from all over the world, share some laughs and listen to live music!


I'll try and update on a more regular basis...I've learned my lesson! Check back soon for updates from Dublin & Kinsale! 
I love you all, missing you in Ireland!
XOXO
K

2 comments:

  1. I thought you'd forgotten about us back in SK!! I am glad to see you're out & about exploring. Your pics are great - looks very pretty. Your commentary can be hilarious - laughed out loud by myself at 5am as I read about you hopping in the wrong side of the car! Old habits die hard! Look forward to the next updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, you're the only person who comments on this blog, it's hilarious. Love it, K.

    <3
    J

    ReplyDelete

Live.Love.Laugh.Explore.