Friday, August 6, 2010

Dublin: My hunt for a leprechaun

DUBLIN!!! I know, I know this was about 2wks ago now, I am slowly catching up on my updates...I'm going to go ahead and blame some of it on slow Internet connection at times but reality is..I've just been busy exploring the land!

SO, Dublin wknd was June 24-25th. We all got up SUPER early Saturday morning and met up @ Wallis' where we then drove to Cork train station. After minor delays, we were on the train and well on our way!! The ride wasn't overly scenic, much like Saskatchewan so we all napped and were well rested upon arrival in Dublin!!
We arrived in Dublin shortly after 10am, and walked to our Hostel. Our Hostel was right in the Temple Bar district and close to the river which really came in handy! It was in the middle of an alley and directly across from a bar, so it was very noisy...and not very clean either. But it was a bed!
To the right is a picture from inside the Hostel. Displayed are various different currencies from around the world, all from visitors who have stayed in this Hostel! See if you can spot the Canadian $5 bill!!
After dropping off our backpacks, we walked to Trinity College. It was gorgeous, fancy buildings and one of the things I've noticed is that theres really no such thing as concrete sidewalks or pathways. It's all cobble stone or bricks. Some areas just aren't made for walking in heels...lesson learned!! We also did some shopping the in the area and ran into our first leprechaun! SUCCESS!!
We then walked to Saint Stephens Green, which to me looks like the Central Park of Dublin. I realize I've never actually been to Central Park but from what the movies portray it to be...this park was like that only on a much smaller scale! I believe the park was about 9 acres..something like that!
After our walk in the park, we walked to Dublin Castle. Now don't get me wrong...it was beautiful. But it was a bit of a letdown. Dublin Castle is so famous, yet, when you see it...its SO small! I've always dreamt that it would be on a nice green hill, surrounded by a fortress with large towers...nooooope! Its right in the middle of the city, and all of these city buildings have been built up right next to the Castle! Its a shame really, I think it destroys part of its history & beauty. We didn't take a tour, but we found a nice green park nearby to rest our tired feet for awhile!
We then walked to the Temple Bar district, where we had pizza and beer for dinner. We were all dead tired, most unlively group in the restaurant by far...and it was only 6pm! We finished dinner, and the walk back to our Hostel woke us up...sort've! We got freshened up, unloaded our shopping from the day and relaxed until it was time to go out.
That night we 1st went to the bar that was directly across from our Hostel. There was live music, and an all-over good vibe. After a few drinks, we left the bar, headed across the river and went to thee Temple Bar! It was packed!! The one bouncer wouldn't let us in since 2 of the girls from our group were only 20, and you needed to be 21. What does one do in this predicament? Go around the corner, to the next bouncer of course! We got in, listened to some of the music for awhile, and then headed off to the next bar!

After a few more bars, and yes..more shopping! The shops were open late so I got some souvenirs for the brothers back home! After a short walk home, we quietly crept into our room as to not disturb our new roommates and attempted to crash but....with the loud music, hot room and oh so comfortable beds...no one got much sleep!!! lol
Sunday morning we got up early since we couldn't sleep... grabbed a quick breakfast and checked out of our Hostel. We then walked to the bus station, bought our tickets for later and saw the famous Post Office and Custom House along our way! I also found myself another leprechaun friend!
We caught the tram to Kilmainham Gaol to give our feet a rest! ;) We got a guided tour of the former prisoner and I gotta say...I really enjoyed this place! So much history, it was so interesting! It was built in 1796, and is one of the largest unoccupied jails in all of Europe! Many public hangings were done in the front gates of the jail, and the youngest prisoner to ever be convicted was just 7years old for petty theft. The jail was so over crowded that often they would be up to 5-6 prisoners/cell which were small to begin with. Each cell was given a single candle for light and heat which was to last 2 weeks. The living conditions were indescribable...
The newer addition to the Jail, pictured on the left may look familiar!! U2's "A Celebration", among other bands have filmed music videos here (check it out on YouTube for a mini tour of the jail!), as well as over 100 films...such as the Italian job, In the Name of the Father, The Escapist and many more!

Next stop....Guinness Storehouse!! For the record, I like many other highly intelligent people can't stand "The black stuff" but when in Dublin, you must check out the Storehouse!! The factory is designed a giant pint that if filled, would hold 14.3 million Litres of Guinness...now that's a fun night out!! I took the tour of how the 'magic' happens, which was pretty sweet, and then we got to do the taste experience...gotta say, even after knowing how the beer is made...it's still as awful as before! Now, somehow I managed to get myself separated from my group...a typical Kayla thing to do. So, after wondering around the 7 stories looking for everyone, I gave up and went shopping in the gift shop. I still couldn't find anyone even after waiting around watching the Flamingo dancers so I thought maybe, just maybe everyone was waiting outside? I leave the factory, only to discover there's absolutely no one outside, and I can't get back in! I reach for my phone to call one of the girls to come find me...and I have ZERO credit!! FML here I am in Dublin, separated from my friends, without a phone and there isn't a person or payphone in sight. What does one do in such a situation you ask? Sit down on the curb by myself for over an hour, all while thinking..'I can figure out how to get back to the Hostel...right?!' Anyways, eventually my friends found me and let me tell you, I have never been so relieved to see their faces!! Why do I always find myself lost in strange cities all alone??? Why!!! hahaha
We quickly picked up our backpacks from the Hostel, caught the bus back to Cork, and then drove home to Midleton! The drive home was pretty uneventful, asides from the fact that the emergency exit on the bus kept flying home...safety first right guys!? All in all, it was an awesome wknd filled with memories, adventures, sleepless nights and blisters! Gotta love it!

Check back soon for updates on Kinsale...promise I'll try to keep up with this thing...;) I love you all, missing you in Ireland!
XOXO
K

1 comment:

  1. Your hiatus from your blog in the last few weeks has been filled with adventures, new sights & scenery. Sounds & looks great! Ihave to wonder while you sat on the curb all alone, if you thought of Jaime in Ukraine on the wrong bus, wrong village, wrong pretty much everything, with no one who spoke English?:) An experience not to be re-visited I hope! (by either of you)...Waiting on Kinsale!

    ReplyDelete

Live.Love.Laugh.Explore.